04 October 2010

Day 4

This recipe is from my mom!  She is an amazing cook!  Her cooking always added so much to the holidays growing up and still does!
Mom's Big Soft Ginger Cookies
2 1/4 Flour
2 t Ground Ginger
1 t Soda
3/4 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Ground Cloves
1/4 t Salt 3/4 c Butter, softened
1 c Sugar
1 egg
1 T Water
1/4 c Molasses
2 T White Sugar
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 
2. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Set aside. 
3. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. 
4. Beat in the agg, then stir in the water and molasses. 
5. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. 
6. Shape dough into walnut sized balls and roll them in the remaining 2 T of sugar. 
7. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten slightly. 
8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. 
9. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. 
*Store in an airtight container. {if there are any left to store!!} 
*Yeilds 24 cookies.

Oh, how can you not love the saying today!  It always makes me want to look around to see if I can catch who's whispering!  It's so spooky!
Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen,
Voices whisper in the trees, "Tonight is Halloween!"
 - Dexter Kozen

The Halloween craft for today is something I have been wanting to do since last year: Halloween-y kitchen towels!  I believe no room in the house needs to be left out of the fun!  This is not a hard craft and you don't need a tutorial on it, you just need to do it!
I bought the dish towel from Walmart last year.  I think they are only $1.

I also bought this cool fabric last year.

There are so many different things you can do on your towlels but I'm into ruffles right now so that's what I'm going to do with this towel.  First I measured the fabric to get a strip twice the width of my towel.  I wanted a 2 inch ruffle so I cut the fabric 4 inches wide.

Then I folded it right sides in and stitched it together.

I flipped it right side out and ironed it.
Then I did a running stitch down the center so I could gather the ruffle.

I gathered the ruffle and pinned it in place along the width of the towel.

The last step is to sew along the center of the ruffle to attach it to the towel!  Simple!  and Cute!!



No comments:

Post a Comment