13 October 2010

Day 13

I know that people have different ideas when it comes to autumn treats, but for me, if it's warm and yummy, it is an autumn treat!  Plus I just tried this recipe this week and it was SO good and easy, I just had to put it here for safe keeping!  It's from an awesome site: The Sister's Cafe.  And it looks like it might be hard because the instructions are long but they are so easy... you have to try them!  I will add orange sprinkles next time I make them!
Cinnamon Rolls
2 rounded Tb yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup warm milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
7-8 cups flour


1. Beat all ingredients except flour until smooth. (you can use a Kitchen Aid with paddle attachment.) 

2. Add flour until it cleans off edge of bowl. 
3. (Switch to a dough hook for this part.) Knead for 5 minutes (or 10 minutes by hand). 
4. Let it rise until double (about 2 hours, depending on the temperature of your kitchen). 
5. Punch dough down and allow to rise to double its size again. 
 6. Punch dough down again and divide into 2 parts.


7. Roll one part into a rectangle. 

8. Spread softened butter (1/4 cup or 1/2 stick) on dough. 
9. Sprinkle with white sugar then cinnamon - making sure you go all the way to the edges. (I really covered it pretty good and then after they came out I wished I would have put more... I will next time!)
10. Roll up rectangle lengthwise and pinch edge to seal. 
11. Use a knife to gently mark the top how thick you want each cinnamon roll, that way they end up being more consistently sized and you can plan how many you want for your pan. (usually 16 for each roll) 
12. Using plain dental floss, slip the floss under the roll, cross over and pull each end to slice off each piece.


***Repeat entire process with second half of dough.***

13. Place rolls flat side down into two greased 9x13 inch pans; 3 across and 4 down (12 total for each).
14. Cover rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise briefly - about 30 minutes or less - while oven is heating to 350. 

15. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Spoon glaze over cinnamon rolls after they have cooled.
Glaze
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tb soft butter (not melted)
1/4 tsp vanilla (this will make the icing a creamy color)
2 T. hot water

16. Combine all the ingredients and beat until smooth. 

17. Drizzle onto the buns with a spoon. The icing will thicken as it cools so ice the buns immediately.
The witches fly
Across the sky,
The owls go, "Who? Who? Who?"
The black cats yowl
And green ghosts howl,
"Scary Halloween to you!"
- Nina Willis Walter


I love these beautiful pumpkins!  And the best part about it is that you can use power tools!  I love using power tools!  My husband thought I was crazy when I wanted to use a drill on my pumpkins last year.  This picture is from Martha Stewart, but it's easy to make your pumpkins look just as cute.  And if you have a small hand saw it makes taking the tops off so much easier.  Just be careful!  
If your drill bit is large enough, you can pop those glass pebbles into the holes for a cool effect!

1 comment: